Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Purple Valentine

"The February born shall find
Sincerity and peace of mind,
Freedom from passion and from care,
If they, the amethyst will wear."

The gemstone Amethyst is the birthstone for February. It is associated with spirituality, wisdom, sobriety, and security. The gift of Amethyst is symbolic of protection and the power to overcome difficulty. It is said to strengthen the bond in a love relationship, so it is an ideal anniversary or engagement gem.


I participated in the Once A Season Swap - Since my swap partner has no blog, I am posting a photo of what I sent her. We are following Australia's seasons since this is being hosted by Cheryll of 'StitchinCubbyHole' blog - Australia. 1st season is FALL - but I sent a Valentine, too as my partner is in USA.



These are the lovely Mug Rugs I received from my swap partner in the Quilting Gallery Swap - funny, my partner was from Australia. I will put them on my wall with other 'art' items received from other swaps. I just love all my goodies.



Someone asked if I was still stitching - totally forgot last time to post photo. I received a kit from my grandson for Christmas - I don't usually work kits as I don't like their quality of floss. But he picked this picture because it reminded him of 'Nana's Farm'; so I will stitch it up, frame and gift it back to him.

I took this on an angle to hopefully show the quilting. This is my February UFO challenge piece for Judy's list - PatchworkTImes. It is a star sampler I found on the internet 3 yrs. ago - so sorry I don't remember the Quilt Guild that had the BOM. I have to keep it covered or furry tries to pull the basting/pins out - and as you can see on the black, it isn't helping to keep the cat hair off. I'll wash it with a 1/2 cup of ammonia added - great for removing animal hair.

SQUARED UP

A few people asked me to show something using charms with the Squared Up section. Take 2 charms - one light, one dark or medium - place right sides together and sew on the two opposite sides. Then cut in half vertically, and without moving, cut in half horizontally. You will have four 2-patch pieces. I finger press seams to the dark and sew the 2-patches into the 4-patch. (4.5" unfinished square)



Trim 2 charms to 4.5" and use in opposite corners to the 4-patch. I sew these four units together to make an 8.5" square block.


I had some solid color charms, but you could cut from yardage. It gives it a different look.
Or you could complete the same with yardage. I am making another picnic quilt so cut 5" squares from a red pindot and from a cream pindot. I like to continual sew, so whipped down one side, with out cutting threads, sewed down the opposite side so I had a chain of squares.


Again - made my vertical and horizontal cuts to make my twosies.



Fingerpress the seams to the dark and pair up for making 4-patch units. And I streamline sew all of them.

Pressing from the back, first I press the side units flat. Then I press the center seam open. Flip them over and press the front for a crisp finish.



I found this wonderful spring green gingham print with cherries and strawberries dancing across it. These are my opposite blocks. I will add a green inner border and then a white with cherry print border, bind with the red pindot.


So you can use your charms, cut your yardage - even change your block size to 6.5" or 8/5" with yardage. This is a quick quilt and great for those specialty prints in the setting blocks accenting with the 4-patch.

What ever color your Valentine is today, I hope you have a happy one,
Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

8 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you, Sharon! Your OASS partner is a very lucky person - all of your gifts are beautiful. I agree with you about stitching from a kit - much prefer to pick my own floss and fabrics. I'm sure your grandson will love to have the finished product! Thanks for the tutorial!!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

thanks for the 4 patch tips, great idea! And Happy Valentine's Day as well.

Corrie said...

What a fun swap! Cute picnic blanket, those fabrics are perfect. Happy Valentine's Day to you!

A mom said...

Thanks for the tutorial on the 4 patches Sharon. I am using your method to sew a quilt for one of my new granddaughters! It's very fast!

Jo Anna

Anonymous said...

You do beautiful stitching Sharon,i love the gifts you sent for your all seasons swap i am in that one as well,i will send mine on monday and i noticed that we are in the next swap of Cheryll's as well,lol
cheers shez

Canadian Kristin said...

You are a busy gal! Love the green gingham with berries dancing across it!

Jennie {Clover and Violet} said...

I really love a four patch style quilt too! Great tips.

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

So many cute things - where to begin! Thanks for sharing about the months and gems (can't wait til December) - I love that! Love what you sent your swap partner - and your gift is cute to! Such a pretty quilt you finished - and your blocks are so pretty (love the green fabric with the cherries)!! Way to sew Sharon!!