Thursday, May 24, 2012

May For Me - Day 24


No I did not make this. This lovely doll quilt came on my Birthday and was made by Sher for the Doll Quilter's Monthly Swap. It is called 'Hide & Go Spool' - an older pattern done nicely in such wonderful scraps. You don't see the spools? Look at the white instead of the color. And though Sher and I are on opposite coasts, my SIL and I could pick out so many fabrics that are in my scrap bins. I just love it!


And with this sweet card, she also added in some cute Mary Englebreit that I collect. A sweet little journal and cute tin which I am quickly tucking my pretty glass head silk pins into. Thank you so much Sher, a perfect ending to my day.

MEATBALL THURSDAY


Tonya invited us for Meatball Thursday Dinner. So I am sharing a 'recipe' from the past. My many years of Cub and Boy Scouting, you had to find meals that not only were nutritious, but easy to fix, traveled well and that the boys would eat.

CAMPFIRE MEATBALL DINNER

Large bag of ready cooked frozen meatballs
Jar of Spaghetti Sauce (we usually mixed half sauce and half BBQ Sauce for some zing)
Large Zucchini cut into strips (like size of french fries)
Diced Onion
(*this usually fed 6 boys-so adjust your supplies if needed)

Use an 18 x 12-inch long sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. Place equal amounts of meatballs, onions, and zucchini in center of each; top each with 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce. Bring shorter edges of foil together over the center; fold down loosely to seal, allowing room for heat expansion and circulation. Fold in open ends to seal.

Place packets on grid over medium ash-covered coals. Grill 20 to 25 minute , turning packets once.

To serve, carefully unfold ends and tops of packets; sprinkle cheese over meatballs. ** We usually soaked fresh corn in their shucks in cold water all day and that was placed right in the coals to cook 20 mins - turning once. Add some fresh fruit on the side**

You certainly can make your own favorite meatballs, change your sauce and vegies, do them on the grill or in the oven (400 degrees on cookie sheet)
Oh - the reason we used Zucchini (other than we all had tons from our gardens) is the usual foil dinner uses potato, but if you don't pre-boil/cook them, those potatoes never cook!!!

Did you share a Meatball recipe today? Link it up with Marcia's Minutes For Me

BINGO CALL WORDS

I - SWIRLS
O - SMILE(S)
B - HAT(S)
B - AUTOMOBILE(S)
O - BROCCOLI
O - SWIRLS
B - DAISY (IES)
O - PANSY(IES)
B - CUP(S)
G - PIG(S)

If you get a BINGO contact Tonya at Hillbilly Handiworks.

***PLEASE*** CHECK THE PRIZE/WINNER PAGES ON TONYA'S AND MARCIA'S BLOGS - THERE ARE BINGOS THAT HAVE BEEN COMPLETED/WON AND THEREFORE DONE - ONLY CALL A BINGO FOR THOSE STILL OPEN THANK YOU***

CLOSING THOUGHT


Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

13 comments:

Lesley said...

Sharon, your little quilt is so beautiful. How thoughtful of your quilt exchange friend to know exactly what would please you so much! And the extras are just sweet...sweet things for a sweet lady! Enjoy your birthday for as long as you can...I think birthdays should always last much more than one day!

VickiT said...

OOh that recipe sounds quite yummy. Thank you.

We are having my Cranberry Meatballs for supper. I had emailed my recipe to Tonya the other day and she posted it on her blog the same day she posted her recipe.

Anonymous said...

cute quilt Sharon and thankyou for your yummy recipe.xx

Miss Hillbilly said...

Perfect for that to arrive on your birthday!! That recipe sounds so easy, and with the zucchini added they get their greens.

Carrie P. said...

I didn't see the spools until you told me to look at the white. great little quilt.

Snoodles said...

Now you are bringing back memories of my days as Cubmaster. LOL Love that recipe, and your spools gift quilts is fabulous. I really love the look she achieved with the opposites in color!

StitchinByTheLake said...

What a wonderful quilt Sharon...and a wonderful friend as well blessings, marlene

Sheila said...

I love the little spools quilt! So colorful and such a nice gift! Love the old quilt blocks.

Linda said...

Once I saw the spools, I couldn't see the first pattern I had seen without squinting one eye! What a nice gift!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a sweet quilt! I didn't see the spools at first!

Quiet Quilter said...

I'm sure you had a happy birthday...love the optical illusion quilt..gives me ideas...

Kris said...

Sharon - I love the Doll Quilt Sher made for you and your Birthday!! And yum, I am going to try that Campfire Meatball Dinner!! Thanks for the recipe!! Kris

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Love your quilt!