Thursday, August 16, 2012

Deep Into Summer




I know we are getting deep into Summer as my quilts are getting darker in color and stash stocking has gone into Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas mode.  I fell a day behind on progress as I was ill for a day from 'horsing' two large quilts back-to-back thru my little machine.  Oh, I hope to remember not to do that again!!  Solution - have large quilts packaged with backing and batt - and hand them off to the long armer one at a time .  That's the weekend plan!


Another big one - still needs a border on it.  This was the FreeSpirit Christmas Block Along.  I had a lot of 'Christmas in July' and then the Mystery Quilt in seasonal fabric, so I opted to do this one in black/white (scraps) with a touch of red.  I need to pick up border fabric, but do have backing.


To ease myself back in the groove (and try to clean up that messy room I showed before) I decided to just play with some blocks.  A few more scrappy Churn Dash to add to the pile.


I finished up the last few LARGER buildings for the "Business District" for the Christmas Village Quilt Along - mine is non-seasonal - going scrappy.


And I did up the Week #5 block for Melissa's   Tetris Quilt Along.   And I did up the sashing for this, so when the last block comes out next week I can put this all together.

And I am hoping to finish up a secret project tonight so it can be off in the mail tomorrow.  Just will have my FMQ Challenge left for the month of 'need to be done' items - HMMM - I will have two whole weeks to lazily play the rest of the month!!

CLOSING THOUGHT

"Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability."
- Sam Keen

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow Sharon that quilt is gorgeous,you are so very clever with your colours.xx

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

You know my favorite!

Sheila said...

I don't think I could SEE straight if I tried to quilt two quilts in one day. Looking forward to seeing pinwheel quilt you currently have on the machine finished. Black and white quilt top is a beauty. Churn Dash and Business District blocks are looking good. Another pretty tetris block. Can't believe the Tetris QAL is almost over.

Debbie said...

I am amazed at how much you always get done and have going on. And everything is so great as always! I would not even tackle a quilt on the little machine...you are brave!

Joanna said...

For someone who was out of commission for a day you certainly accomplished much. The Free Spirit design is very modern and looks great in black and white. Love the Churn Dash blocks.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Your "falling behind" puts my full speed ahead to shame LOL!
Love to see all your projects. I am actually looking forward to the fall and some routine again!

Pattilou said...

My goodness, you are a quilter on steroids even when missing some days! Love that black and white that you used in the Free Spirit!

The scrappy Churn Dashes are great, too! Can't wait to see the other blocks into quilts!

Snoodles said...

Sure hope your back is much better....I just love your scrappy churn dash blocks!

Needled Mom said...

I love the quilt - great colors too. Looks like you are keeping busy with blocks too.

Amanda said...

I really like how your Tetris block turned out. It has more background than most, but it really makes it stand out!

Melissa Corry said...

All ready to go with the sashing as well. Yippee Skippee!!

tink's mom said...

The black and white is stricking with that touch of red. Love it.

Shannon said...

I love the looks of that black/white/red quilt. It is cool to see that the blocks are different sizes.I can't wait to see your Tetris quilt all done. Extra time to play what is that? LOL!!

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

I like visiting your blog because you always have so much to share! I'm intrigued by the black/white/red quilt at the top, especially by the little piano key block at the top, I think it's unexpected and cute.

Sarah Craig said...

Wow you've been busy! Love the black/white/red quilt and the churn dash blocks especially - both are so pretty! Hope you're all healed up from your quilt wrangling.....

Michele said...

You always are so busy and as usual I am in awe. The R,W & B one is great.

Michele said...

I'm ready to think about fall and I think you are too! Wonderful work :-)

Carrie P. said...

You have been busy, Just wanted to come by and say "Congrats" on your win at the Free Spirit blog. Your quilt is awesome.