Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Finally Plugged In


I finally plugged in my machine and did some sewing.  I have a few more little items to clean up for my up-coming teaching day, but I needed a day of play.  It has been a long time since I played with these little blocks.  1.5" squares for the 4-patches and 2.5" squares sliced corner to corner for the settings = 3.5" unfinished blocks.  I may be using these in a border setting, but will need a lot more.


And I haven't played with the Wild & Goosey blocks in a while either.  I need another 50, but these are just play blocks for now - no rush.


Did I shock you?  Large blocks (for me)!  My drawer of greens is crammed full and I had some of these rather 'odd' colors - my other greens are dark, foresty colors and prints.  So I made up some quick Shoe-Fly blocks.  I even used up some 'odd' (ugly) yellows with them. Stats - two 5" squares to make the 4.5" HSTs and 2.5" square and 2.5" by 4.5" strips (because someone will ask) for a 10.5" unfinished block.  Not sure what will become of these or if I even make more (other colors) to go with them - it was just play time. 


I'm surprised I haven't had an empty spool yet - I do thread inventory not a stash inventory.  I have several spools almost to their ends and I find I am using a lot more color in my quilting.  Connecting Threads had a flash sale - 40% off - so I treated myself to some new thread. 


And I had a very sweet blogger send me an Easter gift.  The pincushion is already in use - tired of knocking that box over.  And thrill upon thrill!!!  Some Sturbridge Village by Judy Rothermel for Marcus Brothers.  These are going to be worked into my 'Westering Women' and 'Circa 2016' quilts.  Thank you!! 

It is to be some rather wet, stormy, windy weather in our area for the next few days - so I have some handwork set aside in case the power goes.  BUT I really need to finish those class step-outs - printing of the pattern is in progress.

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

11 comments:

Lesley said...

I love seeing you at play! Such great projects, small and large! That thread looks like candy, yum!

Dana Gaffney said...

Those odd greens and yellows are beautiful to me and yes I was surprised at the size, those are gigantic for you, LOL. I love Connecting Threads sales, I took advantage of one of their flash sales too.

Debbie said...

Great play time......the wild and goosey are my favorites. Have to admit that 1 1/2'' is too small for me to work with. So I love to see yours:)

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Glad progress for your class is going well. And great happy mail....happy sewing.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Add some funky print as the sashing between those green/yellow blocks, and, you'll have a quilt for a teen.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon ,it's so nice to get a bargain and stock up especially if it threads, boy I love this flying geese blocks,I always love seeing what you are up to Sharon,happy Easter my friend xx

Needled Mom said...

Glad to see that you finally got some play time, Sharon. We all need those days and you always have such fun ones.

gayle said...

I love to watch you play - you make such good use of your toys!
My leader/ender 4patches are the same size as yours. I'm collecting ideas for settings, so I'm interested in seeing what you do with them.

Pattilou said...

Ooooh, I love the shoo fly blocks. I thought I was tired of my greens and maybe it's time to pull out more! March isn't over yet and I still have green! :-)

Cheryll said...

Nice to catch up Sharon...xox

Kate said...

I really like those green shoo-fly blocks. Mix in some pink and you'd have a very pretty spring quilt.