Wednesday, April 27, 2016

A Scrap Problem



Sarah @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict has a fabulous challenge for helping with that scrap problem.  My goal for April's scap management was my greens.


This drawer (and an overloaded shelf) was my selection.


9-Patches


Log Cabins


300 Flying Geese Units


Spool Blocks


600 (1.5") HSTs


And the drawer (didn't even touch the shelf) - looks worse.  I had more fabrics donated - yes, greens.  PLUS, I had a 'squirrel'.  You know - the distraction. And large gray tub that just annoyed me and had to be dealt with.


There were a few bags of scraps - donations I had not gone thru as I was busy with other areas of taming.  There was pressing, sorting, cutting down, putting into the storage system, and some things actually got tossed.  Nylons and polys just aren't going into my work - they shrink, shred, and melt.  But I found a couple of my Aunt's 'in-progress but let's not finish' things.  One was the blade borders which I took apart and made into these 'fans' to be appliqued to the white (an old white-on-white cleared off the shelf).  This will be a travel project for me over the next couple of months.


And this quilt was something I made some time ago with my Aunt's cast away blocks - reworked into something new.  It was in the tub - waiting for borders.  You know I hate borders.  I knew I wanted to add the black inner, but had nothing for the outer border.  Well, in pulling this out I remembered I had saved the side cuttings (wide backing) from a large quilt done by my long armer.  Just enough and just the right color - the quilt waited for a reason.  And I have a backing that has sat on the shelf for a few years - my weekend project is to get this quilted.


The green drawer may not have gotten emptied, but the large gray tub did and that makes me very happy.

Not sure what my May scrap challenge will be as I have a HUGE and FULL May planned.  Have you accepted the Scrap Challenge?  

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

22 comments:

sewyouquilt2 said...

love those fan blades. and how fun to empty a bin. I am still trying to do that over here. seems no matter how many projects I make the fabric multiplies overnight LOL I may need to make "parts" like you do and then work them into something fun....

Sarah said...

Sew...it seams you were destined to work on the green drawer just enough to make room for more green! Congrats on clearing out the tub!!

KaHolly said...

I haven't seen an empty tub in a long time! You inspire me!

Karen said...

WOW! You have been busy. I know I would not have had the patience to mak 1.5" half square triangles. I love the flying geese blocks.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

SHaron congrats on your empty tub!!! You make me excited for my summer sewing time ahead!! :)

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Congratulations on all you accomplished with your scraps! I really love all of the blocks you made, and the blue border works perfectly with the quilt top.

Quilting Babcia said...

Amazing accomplishments!

Needled Mom said...

I am so impressed! They look awesome too.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

You have had such a successful month, great work, and at least your scraps are organised too. Well done on emptying that tub.
Smiles
Kate

Sheila said...

Wow. You never fail to amaze me with all the scrappy progress you make with your stash each month. Strings, squares, blocks and quilts. You always inspire me. Thank you, Sharon.

tink's mom said...

a very impressive amount of organizing and stitching. well done.

Debbie said...

I am jealous of your progress...as I work thru a mountain of laundry. Great scraps and love your discoveries and how you find a solution to space in all those scraps!

Linda Smith said...

300 flying geese alone in a great accomplishment. I feel inspired.

Sheila said...

You may have a lot of scraps but you sure know how to make great use of them , great work !

Lesley said...

Beautiful yummy blocks! Lovely quilt...and I too love empty bins!

QuiltShopGal said...

Great challenge. I did a personal version and knocked thru my green stash awhile back. Also did the same for pastel colors. Next up are blues/browns.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Kris said...

Amazing, Sharon, at how much you got completed!! They all look wonderful as well as the good-looking empty grey bin!! :-))

Dasha said...

I am breathless just reading this. 600 HSTs!! It takes e all month to get 100 done. LOL

Dana Gaffney said...

Since mine are all just shoved together in a jumble I'm watching all of this closely and thinking about sorting by color, that seems like such a good idea, no cutting though.

Rebecca in AK said...

Yay for an empty tub! Wow, 300 flying geese and 600 half square triangles! Love the fans and your blue quilt too!

Kate said...

Way to go! An empty tub and a almost finished flimsy is pretty good for just one month.

Carla said...

Well look at you go... 9 patch, spools, log cabins, flying geese and then you jumped over to empty the gray tub. Oh and I forgot the HS triangles. Busy girl indeed.