Saturday, March 3, 2018

Oh, Scraps with a Storm


I took pictures on early Friday Morn as the storm had started around 9pm EST Thursday - we woke to this.  And more came!!  It was a heavy, wet snow as you can see it sticking to the trees in great mounds.


Which led to some of this.  We just pushed/pulled enough to get things out of the lane so my brother could try to keep a path for an Emergency.


My brother plowing for a second time while I shoveled for a second time.  We fought this for a third round and then the winds picked up making it a total white out and too dangerous.


We had 38" of snow, some places had more as our County was in the eye of the storm.  We will be staying on the cold side so this stuff should melt off slowly.  I'll take this over all the awful flooding going on along the coast.


We never lost power, but did have some brown outs and flickers.  I powered a few things down (like the computer), but I did sew!  A cone of thread empty - yahoo.  A new one is now on the machine.


Since I had all those 4-patches made and laying in the box, I put this quilt together while waiting out the storm.  This was an attempt to clear some space in my barrel system - hardly a dent; really!


This is a Temecula Quilt Co pattern for one of their 'summer scrap' sew alongs.  I used 1.5", 2.5", and 4.5" squares but you could bump this up for a larger quilt using 2", 3.5", and 6.5" squares.   You could add a border,  but this design just says 'NO' to that - so I'm not.

Linking up with Oh, Scrap

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

22 comments:

Christine M said...

Hi Sharon. That's a lot of snow. I can't imagine living with it. It just doesn't snow where we live. Your quilt looks great. xx

Libby in TN said...

That's a heap o' snow! Looks like you made good use of your time indoors; outdoors was kinda futile effort, methinks.

Vireya said...

It was nice that you could keep sewing through the storm. Love your squares quilt!

Debbie said...

That is enough snow for this year....three plowing and shoveling times are enough! Just glad to hear you are safe and have power. You stayed busy I see...what a great 4 patch menagerie design! good way to use up parts!

Frog Quilter said...

Lovely pictures of snow. We in the south do not get much snow. Love your four patch top. Stay warm and peddle down on sewing.

Ellie said...

Wow ! I'm really impressed by this amount of snow! We lived near Syracuse for a number of years so I know a bit of what you're dealing with. Now we are in central Indiana so we see lots less! Pretty quilt! Glad your power has held up! Stay safe!

Charlotte M. said...

Great way to spend a snowy day, or two. Love the quilt top.

Barbara said...

Yikes! I had you on my mind as we watched news of the storm on television. Glad to know you're all safe there. What a mess.

MissPat said...

I'm glad you didn't lose power and could keep sewing. Reports from friends at home say we had about 12". I bet Sarah had a lot more than that and she's only about 45 min from me. Stay warm and don't overdo it on the shoveling.
Pat

Lyndsey said...

Wow that's a lot of snow. Stay safe and warm. That quilt top is fun, I love the different sized squares.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Glad your brother has a plow. Our son had one wimpy snow shovel when we arrived. Now he has 3. Shoveling snow is HARD.

Kathleen said...

Sharon, can you tell us more about your barrel system? I have a basket system, wondering if it is similar ... I love seeing how others organize their quilty life. thanks

chrisknits said...

Whoa! That's a lot of white stuff! Good thing you had a plan and could wait it out.

Linda said...

Wow, 38" of snow, I just cannot imagine that! Good opportunity for you to sew - such a great quilt, well done. Keep warm inside. More sewing????

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Those photos make my bones cold....

gayle said...

We only ended up with 6", but I suspect the wind blew most of our share onto you. The wind was blowing crazy hard, and our snow fell sideways most of the day. (It reminded me of my days in Vermont!)
Glad you're okay and got to enjoy some sewing. Hoping your thaw is slow and easy!

Cathy said...

Thirty-eight inches. Good grief! Glad you kept the power going. And that scrappy quilt - wow. To die for! Stay warm and safe...

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

That is a lot of snow! I was complaining about our rain but looking at all that white, I will happily be wet. Love the scrappy quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Clare M said...

That's so unbelievable for us - the thought of 38" of snow. We are lucky if we get snow every 20 years in our part of New Zealand. Love your scrappy quilt and might have to put it on my to do list.

Kevin the Quilter said...

I hate to admit this......but, I would love to be snowed in with a pot of soup on the stove! Maybe I could get something done if I were snowed in! I certainly hope you all are safe and sound!

Lee said...

As beautiful as a snowy scene is, I'm glad my ancestors moved away from that area so very long ago ;) 38" of snow - no thank you. Remind me I said that when I'm sweltering in 110º later this summer when I'll be longing for the cold!
I like that quilt with three different sized squares!

sewyouquilt2 said...

Glad to KNOW you are safe and power didnt go out. We are facing the unknown today.will it rain and trees fall or will it snow and have other issues. Only Mother Nature knows.